Sunday 2 October 2016

Magazine research : Dead End

In a  art theory lesson we had to go down to the library and look for a art magazine which shows what we as art students were into. Either that being illustration, fine art, sculpturing, architecture and much more. Well my favourite art form is illustration so I found a magazine which was called 'no brow 9'. It was filled with wonderful images and highly imaginative comic like layouts; one of these which I found interesting was a comic strip named 'dead end' and was created by a woman called Kirsten Rothbart. I loved the dark and light pastel shades ranging through the whole strip; each square has fine details while still showing a cartoon appearance. I believe the story is about a women who we see as coming back from her job to her caravan, she is just ready to relax with a cigarette and play her guitar. She seems to fall seemingly into a calm chilled out  mode, surrounded by full, unwashed bowls or cereal and a mess all around. I noticed she looks at a Polaroid photograph capturing her past self on stage performing with the words 'keep going'. So as I see it she used to be a famous pop star or rock chick and then something happened and the dream died out; and now she has a job dressing up as a bear and selling produce. Which maybe that was her dead end which links to the title of the comic strip. Kirsten Rothbart may be joining my favourite artists list.

No comments:

Post a Comment