Thursday 9 March 2017

London tate gallery

I recently went on a trip to the London tate art gallery where I got to see for myself first hand art works up close. I found many artists that work intrested me  and was even useful to go towards my current project called raw.

One piece I came along to see was extrodinary, it was a sculptor consisting of so many radios all switched on playing at the same time so all the words heard would be crossing over each other. The best part about this piece was the size of it, it reached to the celing and covered almost a half of the room in width. The piece was created by an artist called Cildo Meireles who created this piece with the inspiration from a Biblical story. The story was called 'the tower of Babel' which was obviously about a tower, but the tower reached so high that it could go all the way to heaven. God  felt disrespected, so he caused the builders to speak all different languages and placed them around the world which caused  conflict such as wars breaking out. I believe Cildo
Meireles represented the builders as radios in his piece as the radios where all on different stations so you never could really tell what was being said ;as it were for the builders because they all began to speak different  languages. The piece was made up of loads of radios the more chunky ones dated to ahev been sold in the 1920's where placed at the bottom for support, then the smaller electronic ones we have today where on the top half of the tower. Meireles even said that his work is unique due to the radios all being upon different channels that the information heard would always be changing making his work different every single time.

The next artist I found was  an artist called  Farid Bekahia whose oil paint on canvas piece showed cultural influences, and an expression which I associated with raw emotion which is what I was focusing on for my raw project. The imagery in the piece shows widened eyes, mouth and extended arms which can portray to me stress; the darkened circled eyes and hand holding above the head to create a larger surface area expressed this to me. The piece was Based around the times where Cuba was unsuccessfully  invaded by the United States in 1961 which was at the times Bekahia created his piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment